Monday, August 6, 2007

Making a Difference at the Grass Roots Level

Just because a professional athelte participates in a sport that's not featured on ESPN's SportsCenter every night doesn't mean he can't make a difference in his community. He just has to roll up his (or her) sleeves and work at the grass roots level.

That's just what Christian Cook, who plays for the Washington Bayhawks of Major League Lacrosse does.

From the MLL website:

Major League Lacrosse is unlike most professional sports organizations in that its athletes are made far more accessible to fans than in any other sport. League members also give a great deal of their time using lacrosse as a vehicle for community service. Christian Cook, defenseman for the Washington Bayhawks, is a great example of both of these values.

“I give my email to kids that have questions, and I make myself as available as possible,” he said. “I get a lot of questions from parents asking if I can help their child and I am glad to offer my time as often as possible. “Though Cook is a definite talent on the lacrosse field, something else makes him stand above the crowd. He realizes the vitality of community activism.

“I offer my time to anything I can in order to help promote lacrosse,” he said. “The US team holds clinics as well as Washington team clinics and camps. Whenever I have time, I enjoy helping out.”

Cook’s main focus in the community is Winner’s Lacrosse, also known as the Washington Inner City Lacrosse Foundation. The nonprofit organization strives not only to teach inner city kids about an exciting sport, but also to impress upon them the importance of hard work, integrity, teamwork, and moral values. Winner’s Lacrosse was launched in 2000 by Tom Mchugh and Bruce Baschauk and is run by Adora Curry.

Winner’s Lacrosse, being a nonprofit organization, is always in need of financial support. “I donate a portion of my salary to Winner’s Lacrosse; I feel it is a great opportunity for me to give back to the sport that has done so much for me,” said Cook. “It was natural to donate a portion of my game check each week to the program, since I am fortunate enough to earn a paycheck to play lacrosse.”

You probably had not heard of Christian Cook before reading this post. I know I hadn't, but I'm glad I have now.

Click here to read more about Cook and his efforts in the community.

No comments: