Saturday, June 30, 2007

Red Sox' Jon Lester Regaining Control

His pitches aren't always finding the strike zone as often as he would like, but things could be a lot worse for Jon Lester. He was a 22-year old rookie with the Boston Red Sox last year when he received some chilling news. Lester was diagnosed with cancer cells in his groin, lung, and collarbone along with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

"After about five minutes, I figured it was time to start fighting," Lester says. "It has always been a pet peeve of mine when people feel sorry for themselves. I took the same approach as if I don't pitch good. I'm not going to go through all that B.S. of trying to analyze things. I'm just going to go out in five days and do better." Or, in this case, get better.

Lester went through six chemotherapy treatments and was declared cancer free in December. Click here to read the Sporting News story about his comeback efforts.

No comments: